A list for myself but really for anyone who wants it:
- Give up on media that bores you, or aggravates you. Stop listening to music that doesn’t excite you. Drop any book that doesn’t have a good hook or an interesting build-up. Don’t watch a TV series if it does nothing for you after a few episodes.
- Write something once in a while that isn’t for a school assignment. Maybe it’s fiction, or creative non-fiction, or an article, or just a list of things (meta!). Don’t force it. Don’t try to do it every day. But, sometimes, write.
- Allow yourself the freedom of saying, “I don’t know what that is, but I’d like to learn”, and variations on it. Be okay with admitting that you don’t know everything.
- Experiment with computer languages you’ve never worked with before: R, Ruby, Rust, et cetera. Think about computer programming for apps and mobile devices. Think about SQL applications and the millions of ways Python can be put into Excel. Maybe brush up on your HTML/CSS?
- Go see a movie at an actual movie theater.
- See music being performed live, whether it’s a band on stage or a talent show at the local library or someone playing guitar at an open air market.
- Don’t worry so much. Seriously, you don’t need to worry as much as you do right now. Everything will be okay.